Mangaminx's Lair
    Hi, and welcome to Mangaminx's Lair! I'm Mangaminx, a 21 year old female anime and manga fan, and this is my blog. Here you will find lots of reviews/screenshots and other features for your yuri anime needs! Feel free to e-mail me or leave a comment! Thanks to the amazing Melainy for my latest banner!
Credits

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Weekly Thoughts - Yuri Harems and "R U Gay?" e-mails
Sunday, May 14, 2006

Wow, I've made it to my second ever ""Weekly Thoughts" piece, it is a monumental occasion and I'm rather glad I have stuff to write about based largely on the fact that some really interesting points have been raised in the blogging community this week. So anyway, without further ado here are my thoughts on the anime related week!

A week ago (yeh, sometimes I have trouble remembering back that far myself), Jason did his post on anime harems, Reika also did her "Make your own Host Club" post. Now I realize I'm a little late commenting on this, but hey better late than never. Now, I'm a female otaku who doesn't like bishys (shock! horror! I'm sure anyone who reads this blog occasionally knows that by now), but I also have a violent aversion to the stereotypical "moe" choices for a female harem (seriously when I see a girl in a maid outfit, I tend to wish horrible things happen to her.) So, anyway neither of these particular styles of harem appealed to me personally. But yes, I'm a yuri fangirl so I thought that I should at least make an effort to jump on the bandwagon and produce my 3 favourite yurified (or not really yurified but hey, I'll pick them anyway) characters! So here we go!

1) Satou Sei - MariMite - What yuri dream team is complete without Sei? She is quite simply my favourite anime character ever and will probably remain so for a long time.
2) Jo - Burst Angel - It's not much of a secret that I'm a complete Jo fangirl, the fact that she manages to be a female version of Dante from Devil May Cry and is always swooping in to save Meg makes her essential.
3) Chie Hallard - Mai Otome - Stupid surname aside, Chie's Otome incarnation (I can't stand her Hime) is my third and final choice. Shame that she really didn't have much screentime, undoubtedly my favourite member of the Otome cast.

Yeh, I only picked three characters but considering their personalities I think that's plenty.

As for the "R U Gay" comment in the topic of this post, from time to time I've been getting a few e-mails since I started this blog enquiring about my sexuality. Usually these are phrased in some thrilling way such as the aforementioned "R U Gay?" or the rather more eloquent "Yr a lesbn?". A few other related questions have popped up too. And while I'm not going to stick my sexuality down on the FAQ page, the growing number of people asking me has caused me to actually want to reply, instead of merely ignoring them like I have been. Yes I'm a lesbian (a very happy one with a wonderful girlfriend), and yes that's why I write about animated lesbians. Well, that's a few or so e-mails answered in one foul swoop. Yay.

What shall I talk about next week? I haven't decided yet, but I'm sure I'll think of something. This post has dragged on for too long now, so there's my "Weekly Thoughts" for this week!


posted by Mangaminx On Sunday, May 14, 2006  
9 Comments:
  • On Sunday, 14 May, 2006, Anonymous DrmChsr0 said…

    Eh.

    I ramble on about Itsuki X Kyon and other fine shonen-ai pairings, and ramble on about shotas...

    But that's who I am.

     
  • On Sunday, 14 May, 2006, Blogger Anga said…

    Hmm, I didn't give it much thoughts if you are straight or not. Female watching yuri is maybe little unsual, but completely possible.

     
  • On Sunday, 14 May, 2006, Blogger Mangaminx said…

    I was getting rather sick of the stream of e-mails on the subject which is why I addressed it this week. Not entirely sure why why its of such great fascination to people but it's no skin off my nose mentioning it. And I just want to point out that my post in no way is meant to point out that girls who watch yuri = gay, as thats blatently not the case. I'm sure there are many straight women who happily watch shows with yuri content out there.

     
  • On Sunday, 14 May, 2006, Blogger Ramen89 said…

    Wait a second, r u gay?

     
  • On Sunday, 14 May, 2006, Anonymous j1m1 said…

    I'm a girl; straight as a rod but yet I have no interest in shounen-ai/bishies and I love my yuri as much as the next (male) otaku. I've gotten loads of OMGWTF R U GAY LOLZZR comments from friends as well (must be those Marimite posters on the wall ^^;). I really don't give a toss whether any of the bloggers I frequent are straight, gay, assexual, pansexual, whatever. What difference does it make really?

     
  • On Sunday, 14 May, 2006, Blogger Mangaminx said…

    ramen89 - Should have expected you of all people to post something like that ;)

    J1m1 - Oh it makes no difference whatsoever! But now ive answered the mails I mentioned en masse and don't have to talk about it again! And yay, I have a few friends who are straight women and like yuri, what you watch in no way shape or form relates to who you are really (ok, maybe in my case it does but I mean in general). People like what they like.

     
  • On Sunday, 14 May, 2006, Anonymous Martin said…

    I wouldn't class myself as a yuri fan but if there's entertaining and watchable character interaction it doesn't bother me what gender the characters are (Kasimasi is a case in point - the love triangle is all-female but that fact didn't affect my appreciation of the story one way or the other). It's a bit strange to think that even in this day and age sexuality is an issue though - obviously not everyone realises that it doesn't really matter.

    It's good to know that I'm not the only one who wouldn't mind moe characters disappearing from anime altogether!

     
  • On Tuesday, 22 October, 2013, Anonymous Dante Snow said…

    I often

     
  • On Wednesday, 01 January, 2014, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Minx why wont you upload a video with facecam? Just that one time to see how you acctualy look like

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About This Blog And Me
Current Series
Recently Finished
Blog Index
Other Stuff
© 2005 Mangaminx's Lair Template by Isnaini Dot Com