Mangaminx's Lair
    Hi, and welcome to Mangaminx's Lair! I'm Mangaminx, a 21 year old female anime and manga fan, and this is my blog. Here you will find lots of reviews/screenshots and other features for your yuri anime needs! Feel free to e-mail me or leave a comment! Thanks to the amazing Melainy for my latest banner!
Credits

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

TOKKO 01
Wednesday, April 19, 2006
It's not usually the type of things I would blog, but hey I thought I'd be a little different. Lots of violence, gallons of blood, a light sprinkling of nudity, some incredibly crap lead characters and sis-con all mixed together produce TOKKO!

Straight off the bat TOKKO shows the kind of show it intends to be, violent and bloody. Monster things kill lots of people, our lead runs around with his sister, meets naked red haired girl with huge sword killing a bunch of Silent Hill cast rejects. Then we find out it's all a dream (well in this case, but it probably happened in the past and the leads blocked it out or something). It seems our lead often dreams of naked redheaded women covered in blood, and judging by his reaction to his sister leaning suggestively over him when he wakes up, his sister too.



This is the aforementioned sister with our lead. Her job in this seems to whine "Onee-chan" repeatedly to the point I was hoping she'd be one of the first cast members to be dismembered. She wasn't killed this week, which was a great shame. Their relationship is certainly a bit "weird" and the constant references to "sis-con" by their co-workers (they are in the police force) I found a little disturbing. To be honest with you this first three quarters of this episode were crap. Very crap.



Ah you see now the plot twist. Our lead has graduated to become a full fledged member of the police force. After being licked by a rather bizarre girl he hears about TOKKO, a division of the force that is rumored to kill "things" with swords. It so happens that the red head from his dreams is on that force. Except she isn't at this point in time naked or carrying a sword. Which is probably a plus thing really as when your creeping up on monsters you don't want to draw attention to yourself by having squelchy footsteps.



Of course the rumours about TOKKO division hunting non humans are true, and our hero and his division out looking at a homicide scene meet such things. Zombies that become zombies by having bug things inside them. How nice. No hyper gory action show is complete without zombies that dismember people and these ones also squeak in high pitched voices. Piecing together all the various scenes and flashbacks from this episode, its evident that our lead (and his sister perhaps) have survived a zombie attack a while ago (there's talk of their parents and 350 or so other people dying 5 years ago). Presumably TOKKO saved them back then and TOKKO kill the zombies and the creatures that make them zombies, the creatures come from hell or a similarly happy place. It's a rather standard plot, but to be honest it doesn't really have to be anything else.



As this is what TOKKO the anime is really about. Cops + Zombies = Exploding Heads.



Of course the red head with a huge sword is on hand to save our lead, by this point he was beginning to irritate me a little so I was a little disappointed. But still seeing her carve up the zombies was by far the best bit of the episode. That's where the episode ends too!


Did I enjoy TOKKO? Short answer is no. The lead is annoying, his sister is annoying they both need to have their heads exploded. The jokes weren't funny (I've seen far to many people sitting on each others heads by accident in normal anime lately) and the sis-con disturbed me a little. What managed to redeem it slightly was the blood, the over the top violence and our rather cool sword wielding heroine. However that cannot redeem it enough, TOKKO is dropped after episode one! Certainly one for fans of mindless cheesy horror though as long as you don't find the cast as annoying as I did.
posted by Mangaminx On Wednesday, April 19, 2006  
7 Comments:
  • On Wednesday, 19 April, 2006, Anonymous tj han said…

    The first episode was bad. But I'm still continuing cos as a reader of the manga series, I'm very curious how they can make a full anime series out of only 3 manga volumes which merely introduced the characters.

     
  • On Wednesday, 19 April, 2006, Blogger Mangaminx said…

    Having never read the manga myself this was all new to me. I shall probably read a few blogs of later episodes (if anyone does blog it weekly) to see if it improves at all though. If its only three volumes I suppose theres a chance of the story going off on its own tangent? I suppose only time will tell.

     
  • On Wednesday, 19 April, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aw man! Why'd you have to go and blog this?! You've ruined it for me now!

     
  • On Wednesday, 19 April, 2006, Blogger Mangaminx said…

    Apologies if I ruined the episode Mr.Anonymous! My blog tends to have spoilers though, although I realize TOKKO isn't the kind of thing I usually blog.

     
  • On Wednesday, 19 April, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Damn right! The only reason I come to your blog is to read about things I won't watch! :p Stick to what you know best next time, k?

     
  • On Wednesday, 19 April, 2006, Blogger Mangaminx said…

    :p , I won't be blogging many things different to what I usually blog but I will be sometimes. http://blogsuki.com/toshokan/category/site/mml/ shows all my latest updates if you wanted to check in advance and avoid spoilers.

     
  • On Wednesday, 19 April, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks. I probably should have checked beforehand lol.

    You don't need to reply to every single comment you get by the way ;)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About This Blog And Me
Current Series
Recently Finished
Blog Index
Other Stuff
© 2005 Mangaminx's Lair Template by Isnaini Dot Com