Mangaminx's Lair
    Hi, and welcome to Mangaminx's Lair! I'm Mangaminx, a 21 year old female anime and manga fan, and this is my blog. Here you will find lots of reviews/screenshots and other features for your yuri anime needs! Feel free to e-mail me or leave a comment! Thanks to the amazing Melainy for my latest banner!
Credits

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Ouran High School Host Club 02
Friday, April 14, 2006

Having never blogged episode 01 of the show but finding myself totally surprised I was enjoying it and actually seeing potential for *gasp* yuri in a show that is a bit of a bishy harem I decided to stick with it.

So along came episode 02 of Ouran High School Host Club. I sat down to watch it one sundrenched morn, my anti bishounen pepper spray (it melts their eyes) at the ready as I began to watch. Yes there were bishys. Yes there were the yaoi twins being as hard gay as would be expected of them. But, there was yuri (of a sort) too! Hooray! I dropped the pepper spray to my side and settled back to enjoy the episode... and these are my thoughts.




Self parodical entry there aside, I will admit I would have zero interest in this show were Haru male, but seeing as she isn't and it's well produced and genuinely funny I shall be blogging the episodes I enjoy the most! I realize none of what I call yuri here is "proper" yuri but hey what can I say I read into things a lot. Anyway, we are treated to a colourful, tropical and slightly camp opening here as the Host Club have converted a room into a jungle paradise. This comes complete with chest baring outfits, jungle flowers and generally things to make their adoring customers swoon all over them. Obviously Haru isn't wearing these outfits as her "secret" would be a bit of a give away otherwise but despite still wearing her uniform it isn't too often till she catches the attention of a customer.

Kanako is a girl who seems to jump from Host Club member to Host Club member, always having a favourite for a brief while. Now she sets her sites on Haru and soon ends up practicing dancing with her (she of course thinks Haru is a him) for the Host Club ball that's being organized. Now all this is fairly close to yuri and will certainly have fans of it enjoying these scenes, you even have the rather obligatory moment where Haru falls on Kanako embarrassingly while dancing. Ah the cliques. Evidently Kanako thinks Haru is attractive, because she thinks she is a cute guy, and Haru's sexuality isn't even addressed (I haven't read the manga, so I've no idea if it ever is), but I found these scenes rather sweet and fun.




Anyway, it turns out that Kanako has a fiance who she secretly cares about a great deal (he is a rather dull guy and they have been engaged since childhood). He presumably has feelings for her too, but neither express anything towards each other causing moments of arkwardness. The Host Club take it upon themselves to bring them together and decide to use Haru in their plan. I found some of the funniest moments in this episode to really stem from the comic nature in which the Host Club put the plan together and the rather manic speed in which it takes effect. It is really Tamaki who drives all the insane humour in the anime in general, his seiyuu's delivery is flawless, the timing of the jokes are perfect and he is so outrageously over the top that even the most benign of situations seem hilarious. I'm praising a bishounen character... what has come over me *sobs*.




Kanako and her fiance are reunited and get a chance to speak their feelings openly all thanks to the Host Club. At the end of the ball Kanako comes to give Haru a kiss on the cheek.., but... well...

Lets just say Haru trips. Although neither of them seems to really mind.
I have to say that this episode of Ouran High School Host Club was brilliant. I love the jokes, the speed at which the episodes move, and the cast in general. Haru in particular is interesting in her androgynous nature, and I'm looking forward to more amusing situations as she tries to keep her gender secret. Roll on Episode 03.
posted by Mangaminx On Friday, April 14, 2006  
4 Comments:
  • On Sunday, 07 May, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I totally second this.
    I am one f those very few people who watch this anime because they enjoy the yuri moments.
    Do you know where I could find some shojo-ai (or yuri) fanfiction of OHSHC by chance?

     
  • On Tuesday, 09 May, 2006, Blogger Mangaminx said…

    Glad to see theres more people who watch it for the slight yuri moments. I really have no idea on the subject of fanfiction, Id imagine theres some hiding away on the net somewhere though.

     
  • On Wednesday, 06 June, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In response to finding fanfiction with shojo-ai or yuri, www.mediaminer.org has some. I had a quick look a few minutes ago, but there are a few fanfics with shojo-ai, but no yuri for OHSHC. However, there are hundreds of different anime to search in. There is also another fanfiction site www.fanfiction.net . But if you're looking for something more lemony in flavour, mediaminer is the better site. I'm sure there are more but those are two that I know of.
    Happy reading!!

     
  • On Saturday, 27 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i know where to find the manga of OHSHC! its on www.onemanga.com click on the selection box of 'choose manga' (or somthing like that) and its in alphabetical order!! =D

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About This Blog And Me
Current Series
Recently Finished
Blog Index
Other Stuff
© 2005 Mangaminx's Lair Template by Isnaini Dot Com