Mangaminx's Lair
    Hi, and welcome to Mangaminx's Lair! I'm Mangaminx, a 21 year old female anime and manga fan, and this is my blog. Here you will find lots of reviews/screenshots and other features for your yuri anime needs! Feel free to e-mail me or leave a comment! Thanks to the amazing Melainy for my latest banner!
Credits

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

Claymore Manga 01
Saturday, April 15, 2006

I hate Shounen Jump. I do, I really, really do. I don't care how it's titles have increased manga popularity I still hate it. I'm not just talking of the magazine here but the general franchises. I know many people out there love Bleach and Naruto but I would rather be strapped to a chair and forced to watch Hamtaro for eternity rather than watch another episode of either of them even once (and yes I have seen both Naruto and Bleach). This morning (with the possible exception of Death Note which I found different but dull), every single Shounen Jump manga and anime I have come across was a torment to get through many as I have found every protagonist SO incredibly annoying. After five seconds of Ichigo being on screen in Bleach I wanted to strangle him, but anyway despite my feelings of the franchise as whole I was persuaded to try Claymore.

Now before getting my hands on this particular title I'd looked around various websites and things for information and realized that the series wasn't exactly that popular. But I heard enough from people with similar tastes to me to give it a try anyway, so I leapt into the first volume optimistically! About 20 mins later (probably about that I can't remember exactly, not that anyone cares) I closed the final page and was filled with shock. I had actually found a shounen jump manga that I enjoyed! Clare was a Shounen Jump character I didn't want to strangle! "Wow" I thought "It may have been as shallow as fleas swimming pool but that was actually fun!". The lead reminded me of a far more shallow version of Caska from Berserk (in fact the whole manga reminded me of Berserk, minus the demon rape and intestines spilling out and stuff, oh and an actual story.) and I thought she was pretty cool going around cleaving things in half. Very basic monster of the week style, no plot and no deepness to it but still fun and quite a bit of blood and dismemberment! I even managed to read in some slight yuri subtext in the final chapter but I was probably hallucinating.

So there you have it. I still hate Shounen Jump as a whole but I have to relent and say I like one of its titles. It just happens to be the title that a lot of Shounen Jump fans happen to feel is crap. It's not great by any means but I actually found it entertaining.

This turned out to be more of a rant than a review but oh well!

Contents 6.5 (No plot, but fun!
Artwork 7 (I like the designs of the Claymores)
Characters 7 (Typical, but Clare is pretty cool)
Overall 7

posted by Mangaminx On Saturday, April 15, 2006  
3 Comments:
  • On Saturday, 15 April, 2006, Anonymous treader said…

    Well, to be fair, there is a story. You just have to dig beyond the third volumn when Clare's mandatory angst past was revealed. The story did shake off its early episodic feeling after that point.

     
  • On Saturday, 15 April, 2006, Anonymous tj han said…

    Actually, Shounen Jump as a magazine sucks due to their policies and ruthlessness. But there have been some good stuff.

    My personal favourite has been Shaman King. Ignore the retarded anime, ignore the mandatory shounenish chapters that Jump forced the author to add in, and you'll see a series that is one of the best ever for teenagers who are in the midst of growing up. Ok actually it's just volumes 19 and 20.

     
  • On Saturday, 15 April, 2006, Blogger Mangaminx said…

    treader- My reviews for the first volume so I do realize that It'll gradually develop a story. I certainly enjoyed it enough to look into more of it so I guess I shall see for myself soon enough!

    tj han- Having not read the Shamen King manga (but having seen the dire anime) I can't comment. Perhaps one of the reasons I can't really enjoy SJ is because im far from the target audience.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About This Blog And Me
Current Series
Recently Finished
Blog Index
Other Stuff
© 2005 Mangaminx's Lair Template by Isnaini Dot Com